IE7b2 User Interface Review
Microsoft recently released the second beta of IE 7. I have downloaded it, tried it and felt I have to write about it.
So I took another machine and installed it again, making screenshots of all my installation steps, capturing what I think is good and bad. The result is below.
1st Disclaimer : I did this test as an average user. I did not test the rendering of web sites, I did not test the security enhancements other than looking at the UI, I did not compare IE7b2 with IE6. I may have missed things - if they are well hidden. Or misunderstood things - if they're not clear enough. But there is not a single UI element or feature visible only from the chrome of IE7b2 I deliberately left behind. In that sense, I think this UI report is pretty exhaustive.
IE7 is like any other browser, an iceberg. The average user sees the 10% floating above the water level. I am reporting about that part, leaving the hidden 90% to more advanced reviews.
2nd Disclaimer : I'm a Mozillian, and used to be a Netscaper. I'm the lead engineer on Nvu, the HTML/XHTML Gecko-based wysiwyg editor. My company does mostly Mozilla-related work. But I really tried to write this report without having Mozilla or Firefox in mind, and tried to be fair.