WebSlices in Firefox, who wants to try ?-)

After precisely 10 hours of work, I am glad to offer you a first look at my Webchunks extension (3.0a1 <= firefox <= 3.0b5pre).

1. install the extension, relaunch firefox, notice the new toolbar
  2. visit a site using feed-based webslices like Ebay at http://ie8.ebay.com
  3. go the bottom right of the page and search for uuuh.... welll... something
  4. hover over the results, you'll notice a blue icon appearing on the  left hand side of an entry ; when such an icon is visible, you have a specific context menu entry to subscribe to the webslice ; do it !
  5. a new entry appeared in the toolbar, if you click on it, you'll see the webslice...
TBD:
  • Webslices can be a chunk of page identified by a specific class, or the contents of the first item of an RSS feed ; this extension implements only the latter for the time being. The former is not a problem at all, I just started with the latter, period.
  • clicking on a link in the webslice opens a new window, not a new tab
  • submitting a form in a webslice probably does not work yet
  • no context menu on the toolbar entries for the moment
  • no tweaking of the entry's name for the moment
About the current extension:
  • uses mozStorage and templates
  • some MPL code reused from the places code
  • the rest is "(c) Disruptive Innovations SARL 2008 All rights reserved" for the time being ; free for personal use only

Enjoy... Comments allowed on this post.

Comments

1. On Monday 10 March 2008, 16:47 by Kernou

It works well. But the context menu, is not as easy as the original webslice button.

2. On Monday 10 March 2008, 17:41 by sky

I haven't seen the ie8 version, but a usability suggestion:

delay the disappear of the purple icon after mouse-out, and allow people to click on it (the purple). I spent a bit of time, before I read through your instructions trying to 'chase' the icon.

it would also be nice to integrate this into bookmarks--so overlay a sub item for feeds there to get more info.

3. On Monday 10 March 2008, 17:52 by Shawn Wilsher

The source code published somewhere? I'd love to see how you used the storage code.

4. On Monday 10 March 2008, 20:04 by jwise

Pretty slick... I'm with sky, though.. it would be great if the icon was clickable and automatically added the item for you. I think Office built that idea into our brains with the popup icons :)

5. On Monday 10 March 2008, 20:20 by Daniel Glazman

Hey guys, it's a 0.1 and it's 10 hours of work only, be patient ok ?:-)

6. On Monday 10 March 2008, 22:57 by Aaron Strontsman

It's pretty nice ... although I don't actually get to see the Webslice -- I get an entry in the Webslices bar and all, but when I click on the icon, there's only grey chrome and the open / delete buttons. Hopefully that doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm so behind browser development -- I'm on Firefox 3 b3.

I wonder who, besides Ebay, will implement Webslices, actually. Providers of official support forums, maybe?

7. On Monday 10 March 2008, 22:57 by bharuch

8. On Monday 10 March 2008, 22:57 by bharuch

seems like its coming along well! one problem... even though I can subscribe to the webchunk..and the link shows up on my toolbar area... the chunk is blank..... so.... patient, i will be. :-) [FF3b3 on vista]

9. On Tuesday 11 March 2008, 02:41 by Dan

I'm not seeing the hover icon in Firefox 3b4. No error console errors. The context menu item works though.

Shawn: Extract the xpi with any zip utility. Or just look up the installed extension in your Firefox profile folder. Or use the jar: protocol trick to browse inside it with Firefox.

10. On Tuesday 11 March 2008, 02:55 by Dan

Aha... NoScript blocks the icon from appearing when it's blocking scripts on the current webpage's domain.

There must be some way to make your extension's icon exempt (maybe make it part of the browser window DOM instead of the page's?).

11. On Tuesday 11 March 2008, 13:47 by Cédric

Thanks to this post, I installed FF3b4 and test webslices. Even if it's don't work (blank page) I undestand the idea, and wow, it's a pretty idea.

12. On Tuesday 11 March 2008, 23:52 by appbeta

Same to Cédric, it don't work(blank page).

13. On Wednesday 12 March 2008, 01:02 by mostro

mmm. i can see the icon , but when i try to click on it, is gone!..i,m using Firefox 3b4 on mac

14. On Wednesday 12 March 2008, 02:16 by Richard Banks

For the time you've have this is fantastic work :-)

I noticed that for the icon to appear the element with the class="hslice" section has to be a visible element. If I wrap an existing div with a new div having the hslice class you don't pick up that the containing div has the hslice and thus don't show the icon or the right-click context menu item.

15. On Wednesday 12 March 2008, 23:44 by AW

You're my hero, dude.

16. On Thursday 13 March 2008, 14:01 by Matthias

Cool!

Please post this on AMO (https://addons.mozilla.org).

17. On Friday 14 March 2008, 03:02 by vinitneo

No new toolbars please. webchunks should add to bookmarks toolbar.

18. On Saturday 15 March 2008, 19:50 by josh

Hi,

I just found a bug (not so sure).

I implemented webslice on my site: http://www.packagetrackr.com/tracki...

I can see the webslice icon when hover on the content but when right click 'Subscribe to a webckunk' doesn't in the menu list.

btw: IE 8 is working.