The Mac App Store
I just read the leaked Mac App Store guidelines. Scary. Really scary. Let me comment a bit on the prose, that really looks like a fake but just in case it isn't...
- Apps that crash will be rejected
- The number 1 crashing app for me is... the OS X Dock! Let's reject the Apple Dock.
- Apps that exhibit bugs will be rejected
- Ok, the Mac App Store will be empty then...
- Apps that include undocumented or hidden features inconsistent with the description of the app will be rejected
- Goodbye easter eggs
- Apps that are "beta", "demo", "trial", or "test" versions will be rejected
- Goodbye 0.x and demos currently available on http://www.apple.com/downloads/ (that was last updated 15 days ago...)
- Apps that duplicate apps already in the App Store may be rejected, particularly if there are many of them
- Run, run ! First in, others out !!! This is totally crazy, a denial of how works this industry.
- Apps that are not very useful or do not provide any lasting entertainment value may be rejected
- Very useful ?!? That's so subjective I can't believe it's here.
- Apps must be packaged and submitted using Apple's packaging technologies included in Xcode - no third party installers allowed
- Ah, here we go again. Just lame and counter-productive
- Apps that download or install additional code or resources to add functionality or change their primary purpose will be rejected
- Goodbye network-based installers
- Apps that require license keys or implement their own copy protection will be rejected
- That's a joke I presume ?!? So Apple's going to control the whole thing ? Seriously ?
- Apps may not use update mechanisms outside of the App Store
- I think the Mac App Store will never have my own apps
- Apps must contain all language support in a single app bundle (single binary multiple language)
- This is hilarious ! Hey guys, you work in one language only but instead of downloading a 1meg bundle, you'll need a 7megs bundle juste because Apple has decided so...
- Apps with metadata that mentions the name of any other computer platform will be rejected
- UUUUH ??? Are they nuts or what ?
- Apps with app icons and screenshots that do not adhere to the 4+ age rating will be rejected
- Ok, live proof, they are nuts
At this point, I don't even want to read more of the document. If this long list of stupid rules is not a fake, Apple is evil and a danger for the software industry. Most of the software I use on my Mac would be rejected. They have a licence screen, use a theme similar to iTunes, are localizable only with an extra download, are updatable through their own web site, mention they are cross-platform, are packaged using ten different mechanisms, all have bugs, all crash from time to time including Apple software, etc. Just pure crazyness. Period.